sabato 15 marzo 2014
St. Peter's Dome, the history
The dome, builded during the pontificate of Paul III Farnese, was designed by Michelangelo Buonarroti from the end of 1546 and was discontinued after his death in 1564. The works were resumed in 1588 by Pope Sixtus V by Giacomo Della Porta and Domenico Fontana. Pope Clement VIII completed the construction of the lantern.